May 19, 2026

Drone strike sparks fire near UAE nuclear facility

drone strike sparks fire near uae nuclear facility
Photo source: inkl

The United Arab Emirates has tightened security around the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant after a drone strike caused a fire near the facility, raising fresh concern about the risk of regional hostilities reaching critical civilian infrastructure.

Authorities said three drones entered UAE airspace on Sunday from the “western border direction.” Air defence systems intercepted two of them, but a third reached the Barakah site in Abu Dhabi and struck an electrical generator outside the plant’s inner security perimeter.

Officials said the fire was brought under control and that no injuries were reported. Local authorities also stressed that radiation levels were not affected and that the plant’s safety systems remained intact. The Abu Dhabi Media Office said precautionary measures had been taken and confirmed that the fire “broke out in an electric generator,” while operations at the plant continued as normal.

The UAE foreign ministry condemned the incident as a “dangerous escalation” and an “unacceptable act of aggression,” saying the country reserved the right to respond to threats against its sovereignty and security. It said “the targeting of peaceful nuclear energy facilities is a flagrant violation of international law, the UN charter, and the principles of humanitarian law.”

The defence ministry said it would “firmly confront any attempts to undermine the country’s security.” Officials have not publicly identified who launched the drones or where they originated, although Abu Dhabi has previously accused Iran of involvement in attacks on energy and economic infrastructure since fighting widened across the region earlier this year.

uae nuclear plant
Photo source: Daily Sabah

Barakah, located in Abu Dhabi’s Al Dhafra region, is the Arab world’s first commercial nuclear power station and plays a major role in the UAE’s efforts to expand low-carbon electricity generation. Any attack close to the site is likely to draw international concern because of the potential risks associated with military activity near nuclear facilities, even when reactor operations are unaffected.

The International Atomic Energy Agency said it was monitoring the situation closely. Its director general, Rafael Grossi, expressed “grave concern” and said “military activity that threatens nuclear safety is unacceptable.” He also called for “maximum military restraint.”

The incident came as Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted and destroyed three drones that entered its airspace from Iraq, adding to fears that the conflict could spread further across the Gulf. Although the United States and Iran agreed to a ceasefire in April, sporadic exchanges have continued.

President Donald Trump said on Monday that the truce was on “massive life support” after rejecting Tehran’s demands over ending the war and reopening the Strait of Hormuz.

Subscribe for weekly news

Subscribe For Weekly News

* indicates required