May 19, 2026

Wellington councillor Ray Chung steps down from key council subcommittee 

ray chung
Photo source: rotarykarori.club

Wellington councillor Ray Chung has stepped down as chair of a Wellington City Council subcommittee, marking another leadership change within the council structure.

Wellington councillor Rebecca Matthews has been appointed to replace Chung.

On Monday, the council confirmed that Chung has resigned as chair of the Council Controlled Organisations Review and Appointments Subcommittee, and has also stepped down from the subcommittee entirely.

Chung said he is stepping back from the role to refocus his attention on representing his constituents. 

The resignation comes three weeks after Mayor Andrew Little said he was considering what action, if any, to take following contact from a senior police officer regarding Chung’s conduct during Wellington’s severe weather state of emergency last month.

Little, who also appointed Rebecca Matthews on Tuesday, said he was confident she would effectively lead the subcommittee. 

Matthews will continue in her deputy chair roles on both the audit and risk committee and the revenue and financial value review working group. 

The subcommittee oversees the performance of council-controlled organisations, including bodies such as the Basin Reserve management group, Zealandia wildlife sanctuary, Sky Stadium, and the economic development agency WellingtonNZ. 

Matthews said the subcommittee plays an important role in ensuring council-controlled organisations are delivering effectively for residents and users.

“I’m committed to the subcommittee working effectively together, so oversight is strengthened through the perspectives of every committee member,” she added. 

Subscribe for weekly news

Subscribe For Weekly News

* indicates required