August 19, 2026

Did deliberately starving Health NZ of staff actually save anything?

A serene and vintage hospital ward with empty beds in Barcelona.

A savings plan built on empty chairs

Documents obtained by the Public Service Association and published by RNZ on 19 August 2026 confirm the open secret of New Zealand’s health system: vacancies were left unfilled on purpose. Then-Health Commissioner Professor Lester Levy and interim chief executive Dr Dale Bramley briefed Health Minister Simeon Brown in March 2026 that strict recruitment controls had run throughout 2024/25 and that the ‘expectation is for these controls to remain in place throughout 2025/26’.

For a business audience, the mechanism matters more than the outrage. Health NZ turned hiring into a rationing exercise. According to the PSA report cited by RNZ, the entire northern region, employing more than 20,000 staff, was capped at just 40 full-time roles per fortnight. A payroll officer vacancy needed chief executive sign-off before it could even be advertised.

When approval takes 28 weeks

The timelines are the tell. The PSA documented six months to replace three neonatal intensive care nurses in Wellington, 28 weeks to approve a regional sonologist, and 19 weeks for an intensive care nurse. A survey of 1,800 members found 76% said their team waited more than a month for approval, and 85% said unfilled roles drove colleagues to stress and burnout.

The controls didn’t come from nowhere. In 2024 Health NZ was genuinely in trouble. A July 2024 ministerial briefing showed the organisation overspending at roughly $130 million a month, with warnings that an unmitigated 2024/25 deficit could hit $1.4 billion. Then-CEO Margie Apa ordered an immediate hiring freeze on non-frontline roles in June 2024, and a Treasury report that October noted the executive responsible for hospital services was personally signing off every nursing recruitment decision.

The savings were real, but partial

Here is the number that should stop any manager cold. After two years of aggressive controls, the March 2026 Cabinet paper reported a draft 2024/25 operating deficit of $929 million, against a budgeted $1.1 billion. Better than the worst case, yes. But still nearly a billion dollars in the red after squeezing the workforce this hard, with in-principle expense and capital transfers muddying how much the controls themselves delivered.

That is the classic problem with centralised cost control in a $20-billion-plus organisation. It moves costs rather than removing them. When you refuse to fill a salaried role, the work does not vanish. It shifts to overtime, locums, and private providers, usually at higher unit cost. Economist Brian Easton argued in June 2025 that New Zealand needs a debt strategy neutral to outsourcing decisions, precisely because the on-paper saving from an unfilled position is often eaten by the cost of covering it another way.

The costs that never got booked

The unmeasured losses may be the biggest. An internal Health NZ recruiter told RNZ in 2025 that relocation and advertising budgets had been cut: ‘Usually we’d pay for flights, hotels, but that’s all stopped. If it costs money, we can’t do it.’ Candidates were run through full interviews and reference checks, then told at offer stage that cost constraints applied. ‘We’ve already lost loads of doctors,’ the recruiter said, as specialists took jobs elsewhere.

Separately, an August 2025 RNZ report revealed Health NZ knew IT cuts would risk patient care and hospital resilience, with service desk call abandonment projected to climb from 15% to 19%. In 2024, health officials had already warned the government that emergency department and elective surgery targets would be hard to hit given capacity constraints, including unfilled vacancies.

Decisions made in the wrong city

The operational absurdity is the part any executive will recognise. The OIA documents show the call on whether to replace an emergency department administrator in Gisborne was made in Hamilton, and whether to approve a mental health worker in Kaitaia was decided in Auckland. Local operational choices were pulled up a chain of regional deputy chief executives, adding delay without adding judgement.

Where it lands

In July 2026, Brown announced hospitals could recruit and deploy staff without central sign-off, referencing a November 2025 Letter of Expectations telling Health NZ to strip out unnecessary bureaucracy. PSA national secretary Fleur Fitzsimons was not convinced, calling the earlier safety assurances ‘pure fantasy’ and warning that an approval system for new roles still leaves vacancies open too long. For the medical recruitment firms, locum agencies, and private providers that trade with Health NZ, the lesson is that its hiring settings ripple straight into regional labour markets. And for anyone running a large organisation, the takeaway is blunter still. Centralising every decision to save money produced a near-billion-dollar deficit and a queue of costs nobody bothered to count.

Sources

Community

Join the discussion

Add useful context, ask a good question, or challenge an idea — keep it specific and respectful.

Create a commenter account

Enter the name you want shown publicly and your email. We will email you a password-set link; you cannot comment until you use it.

Your email is used for sign-in and account security. It is not published with comments.

Subscribe for weekly news

Subscribe For Weekly News

* indicates required