U.S. President Donald Trump has said a proposed agreement involving Iran is close to completion, raising the prospect of a diplomatic breakthrough that could reopen the Strait of Hormuz and ease weeks of tension across the Middle East.
Trump said on Saturday that the arrangement had been “largely negotiated,” although he did not provide detailed terms or explain how access through the vital shipping route would be restored. The Strait of Hormuz remains a key passage for global oil and gas shipments, making any disruption a major concern for energy markets and Gulf states.
In a social media post, Trump said he had a “very good call” with leaders from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, and other countries about a “Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE.”
“An agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed,” Trump said.
“Final aspects and details of the deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly.”
Trump also said he had spoken with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, adding that the call “went very well.” He has insisted that any deal would “absolutely” stop Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
Iranian officials have sounded more cautious. Foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei told state television that the positions of Washington and Tehran had moved closer in recent days, but warned that this did not mean the two sides had settled their most difficult disputes. He also accused the U.S. of issuing “contradictory statements.”
Baqaei said Iran wanted an agreement “in the form of a framework, consisting of 14 points,” adding that further talks could take place within 30 to 60 days “and ultimately a final agreement can be reached.”
The renewed momentum follows months of conflict after the U.S. and Israel launched strikes on Iran on 28 February. Tehran responded with attacks on Israel and U.S.-allied Gulf states before a ceasefire was reached in early April.
The U.S. blockade on Iranian ports, in place since 13 April, remains a key pressure point. U.S. Central Command said it had redirected 100 vessels, disabled four, and allowed 26 humanitarian ships through.